Here is my second connector paragraph:
Text to world: Everyone feels like an outsider. In the book Monster, by Walter Dean Myers, Steve, the main character, is rejected by society because people see him as a delinquent. Once in your life, you have probably been black listed by society. Maybe, you were new at your school, and all the other kids had known each other forever. Also, if you are a realy smart person, but everyone doesn't take the time to get to know you beacuse you are too smart. They think you're a teacher's pet, so they reject you from their social group. We all know what it's like to be an outsider , whether we realize it or not. (Maria)
Maria, my dad was a salesman when I was little so we moved every 2-3 years. Hence, I had a LOT of experience being the new kid. It formed my siblings and I differently. My sister was an introvert so she struggled with making new friends. I was an extrovert so it honed my ability to observe others and be friendly. My brother is a mix of the two. I think because he was the youngest it was the easiet to adapt. But, wherever we went, my siblings served as good friends. Being an outsider can be difficult, but it helps give you a new perspective.
ReplyDeleteIt's never fun being the "outsider." I still remember how painful it was to be excluded from the "in" group at my junior high (what we called middle school when I was in 7th grade). I was a student athlete and belonged to athletic and academic type groups. When I tried to join the drama club the kids actually laughed when I auditioned for the musical. I was mortified and still can remember the pain all these decades later.
ReplyDeleteWhen i was in 5th grade I moved to Atlanta. I was an outsider for a while. I didnt like it, but once you are in a place long enough you dont feel like an outsider anymore.
ReplyDeleteI can relate to being an "outsider." Except, it didn't have any relation to school, clubs, etc. It was when I went to Japan. I felt like an outsider because everybody was speaking a different language, and not a lot of people knew how to speak English. It was also a different culture too. The things that we do here that aren't a big deal, but they are considered rude, and impolite.
ReplyDeleteI can somewhat relate to being an "outsider".
ReplyDeleteTwo years ago I tried out for hockey for the first time. I completely felt like an outsider. All of the other kids were so much more skilled than me. I wish that I had been better so that I wouldn't have felt so awkward.
OMG!!!!! Ypou are soooooo correct! I felt like an outside all the time when I moved around from Canada to Ohio to Atlanta. You and I might have something in common.
ReplyDeleteive felt like an outsider befor. the age groupe above me in soccer asked me to play up for them for a game. well they played a different layout of the game then what i was used to. So it was hard to ajust.
ReplyDeleteOf all the commentary I've read today, (most of the blog) this is my favorite vein of conversation. Thanks for your thoughtful responses!
ReplyDelete