Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Book Review for Journey of the Sparrows

Fran Leeper Buss attempts to create a compelling account of a very contemporary issue-illegal immigration. She creates a "composit" character in Maria, drawing upon her experience working with illegal immigrants. While Journey of the Sparrows reads as a nonfiction piece, it's actually a fiction piece. Sometimes an author can successfully pull this off, making the account SO believable. Unfortunately, Buss doesn't. While I was interested in reading about the fate of Maria and her family, inwardly I felt that Buss was trying too hard and, for me, this writing endeavor falls flat. Ultimately, I give this book a C grade.

3 comments:

  1. I'll be short and to the point about Journey of the Sparrows. BAD, BAD, WASTE OF TIME!!. I hated the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be short and to the point about Journey of the Sparrows. BAD, BAD, WASTE OF TIME!!. I hated the book. It didn't catch my attention and wasn't interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my opinion, Journey of the Sparrows was slightly captivating and I loved the illegal immigrant plot, it's just so suspenseful. However, it wasn't very well-written, and from the first pages I read, it was a little fuzzy and confusing.

    ReplyDelete